Call Now 0345 216 3000

Updated Guidance on Driving in the EU

The Department for transport have issued new guidance on the use of  greencards for motorists droving on the continent from the 1st January 2021.

The Government intends for the UK to remain part of the Green Card-free circulation area and we meet all of the requirements needed to remain a part of it from 1 January 2021.

However, in the event that the European Commission does not make a decision ensuring that UK registered vehicles will not be checked for proof of insurance, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU and EEA. We continue to urge the Commission to issue a decision on the UK’s membership in the green card-free circulation zone.

In the meantime, motorists should prepare to carry a Green Card for journeys from 1 January 2021 onwards. These can be obtained from a motorist’s insurer as an electronic document to be printed out on white paper. Insurers may charge an administrative fee for issuing a Green Card.

More information providing updated guidance on driving in the EU can be found at BIBA, our trade bodies website.